It is an absolutely beautiful spring day here in SE Michigan. I spent a good part of the day pruning raspberries and moving some blueberry bushes. Feels like Spring!
I also managed to get in the quilt room today to work on a wall hanging that I have loaded on the longarm. I was inspired by Piet Mondrian’s work and wanted to make a quilt using the same principles. Plus, it gives me a lot of negative space to practice my free motion quilting. My sister says that it reminds her of the mod dresses from the 60s. I just find it perky!
Happy Spring Quilting!
23 March 2017
I have been working on a quilt with my niece Victoria. She had the top pieced and it was in the closet waiting to be loaded. So last weekend, she came out to the house and prepped it. I had her look through some books and come up with a plan on how she wanted to quilt it. We loaded and got her started, and then took turns working on it. I practiced some free motion and some feathers. Adorable quilt! I just love the colors.
Well, it’s off the plate…and I should be moving on to the other UFOs. Some how I keep getting distracted with other projects…
So, I’ve been distracted in a modern Mondrian inspired direction. It is pieced and now on the longarm partially quilted. This was a piece as I went kind-a thing. Very fun…I will post once it is all quilted.
11 February 2017
I can’t believe how long it has been since I posted. It’s almost Valentine’s Day… Yikes…I have a new found respect for those folks who are posting regularly. Well, I have been sewing and quilting, but work has been crazy., so I really haven’t had anything much to share.
Finally …here is my my little not quite so ugly anymore quilt, which I find has redeemed itself once the sashing was added. It is a simple elongated 9 patch that I pieced to give me something to practice quilting on my longarm, plus use up some of my stash. It needs blocking and binding, but I think it may be a donation quilt when all is said and done.
I used Superior So Fine #50 for my first time and was a little disappointed. I had a lot of trouble getting the tension right. Either I had loops and eyelashes or the thread was shredding. Even after re-threading, reloading the bobbin, and completely loosening my tension disks and re-tightening, I struggled with the thread. I even went to their website for FAQs. More practice with it needed, I think. I have to say, there was hardly any lint when I was finished quilting, which I really did like.
Below are some pics of front and back. Please look with a forgiving eye. Thanks for stopping by!
December 28, 2016
While attempting to do ruler work on a charity quilt, I decided the velcro straps with the heavy clamps on the sides of my Gammill were just too heavy and floppy. I seemed to have too much movement, especially as I quilted close to the edge of a quilt. After a few Youtube videos, I decided that Sharon Schamber’s idea of adding side leaders may help stabilize everything. So, I raided my stash and found some heavy denim (non-stretch) and took a few measurements. My leaders are a little different than those in the video, but the idea is the same.
I measured out 2 rectangles approximately 21.5 inches by 14 inches. These measurements are based on the size of my machine and well, the piece of fabric I had. Kind of pragmatic!
Next I serged the shorter ends to finish the edges. A narrow hem would work really well also.
After finishing the edge, I folded the pieces lengthwise (hotdog style) and stitched a 1.omm seam.
Now, off to press the seam on the sleeve roll, then press the whole tube with the seam at one edge. The edge with the seam allowance is where I attach the clamps. The other edge I pin to the sides of the quilt backing.
I considered adding a pocket to put a dowel in, but I think I will try this for now. If I need it later I can always go back and stitch it.
All pressed and starched, ready to give ’em a try. I’ll let you know how it goes.